6/14/10

A day of rest

It seems like everywhere I turn over the past month or so, people have been discussing Sunday being a day of rest. I had a discussion with a dear friend recently about the fact that we all seem to fall into the trap of using Sunday as a day of catching up on things, going to the store, out to eat, whatever we didn't get to do during the week. Yesterday on Facebook, one of my dear friends brought up the question of how many of us will actually "rest" on the Lord's day. I had made plans Saturday night that after church on Sunday, I was going to pick up the house just a little and check emails to get a jump start on next week. Then I went to church Sunday and heard an awesome sermon. Many things hit home with me and as I got to thinking about just exactly when and how often do we seek the Lord when things aren't going our way? He has set aside a special day for us to rest from all we go through and yet we find things to do to keep us busy on His day. The ONE time He has basically told us to take it easy. So I came home, had lunch and relaxed all day yesterday. I watched a little Andy Griffith reruns, read a little, and took a long nap. When I woke up I took a long bubble bath and read some more. Then we had a light supper and I headed back to the couch with my pillow and blankie to watch the Next Food Network TV Star show. Talk about restful. It was AWESOME. I got up this morning at 6:00 and can't remember the last time I started my week by feeling so refreshed. It is 6:46 and I have already cleaned house, set up my work day, checked my Facebook and wrote my blog. There really IS something beneficial about resting on Sunday's. As always, God knows what he is talking about. We just need to learn to listen.

3 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mamaw's Place said...

I like that!!

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right! We need to learn to listen, there is a reason why He said that we needed to rest on the 7th day.

I also take my time on Sunday. My week is very full, but Sunday is really a day to just sit back and collect your thoughts. Charge my batteries per say :)

Have a blessed week!