9/15/10

Are we there yet?

As children, we are always in a hurry to get somewhere. Our little minds cannot conceive time or distance. The most asked question in our youth is "Are we there yet?"

As we grow up, things don't change all that much. But now, instead of a whiny "are we there yet" we focus on how soon events are coming up on us. So now we are always "Do you realize it's only so many days until....".

This is the time of year when that phrase is muttered the most. So I wanted to take a moment to look at some of the upcoming events that we are counting down to in my family.

-Do you realize it's only...about 26 days until my new grandson will be here. Jamie has stayed on her bed rest and Baby Boy has stayed where he's supposed to be. He is showing signs of great health and all his vitals are really good. We still don't know a name, but they are narrowing it down.

-Do you realize it's only...46 days until Halloween or as I like to call it Trick-or-Treat. The kids are looking forward to trunk-or-treat at church. Fall is in the air and I saw some awesome pumpkins yesterday at Food City. I need to get my decorations out. I'm running behind this year.

-Do you realize it's only...71 days until Thanksgiving. Turkey and all the trimmings. The Macy's Day parade. Pouring over the sales ads with the girls after dinner. This year, the girls can tell me about the ads because I'll be holding Baby Boy and loving on him. It will be his first visit to Mamaw's.

-Do you realize it's only...72 days until Black Friday. Yes, that's right. I am one of those crazy up at 5:00 shoppers. I do get some really good bargains. It's not for everybody though. Some would rather shop online, but there is just something about the thrill of being out that early on a mission. And I have met some very fascinating people standing in lines. It's amazing what you can find to talk about with complete strangers.

-Do you realize it's only...89 days until my birthday. I am going to be 54 and proud of it. Most days I still feel 34 thanks to my grandbabies. But sometimes, being with the grandbabies and acting 34 leads me to feel more like 94 the next day.

-Do you realize it's only...101 days until Christmas. This is my favorite time of year. The time of our dear Saviour's birth. A time for celebrating. A time for Christmas programs and choir rehearsals. A time of sharing and caring for each other. A time for family and friends.

No comments: