9/7/10

A blast from the past....


I spent some time this weekend looking at issues of The Workbasket magazine. A dear friend gave me some old copies she had from the early 60's. It brought back some wonderful memories. My grandmother subscribed to the magazine (it was 15 cents per issue, or $1.00 for a year). She read every detail and passed it on to my Mom. We loved to look at them when the adults were through. I can remember being at Mamaw's when it would come and me and my cousin Patty would look through it.

It was full of crochet, knitting and tatting patterns. There were recipes, advertisements, ideas for homemade items, tons of things. In one of the issues is a recipe for Spicy Molasses Gingerbread. With fall right around the corner, I thought this might be a good recipe to share.


Spicy Molasses Gingerbread
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk

Cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add molasses and beat until well blended. Sift together flour with remaining dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture in fourths and the buttermilk in thirds to cream the mixture. Mix only until blended. Pour into a greased and wax paper lined 9 x 9 pan. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes.

I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds good.

1 comment:

Esmee Lynne said...

I love the "Work Basket", especially the old quilt patterns. Thanks for following my blog. I tried to connect to your giveaway, but was unsuccessful. No doubt I did something wrong!!!