9/12/10

I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. - Psalm 122:1


In the U.S. Constitution, the first ten amendments make up our Bill of Rights. The first amendment, in the very first words says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; .....". This very clearly gives us the right to worship in our own way in our own manner.

We, the people, believe that we are one nation, under God. In 2004, Fox News did a poll in America. The results showed that 92% of American's believe in God, yet only 85% believed in heaven and 82% believe God still performs miracles. In 2007, Pew Forum did a survey of 35,000 people. There results showed 78.4% of the people surveyed were practicing Christians, 4.7% practiced in other faiths, and 16.9% did not believe in anything. In 2009, they did an extensive national survey using U.S. Census information and determined that 79% of Americans are Christians.

This leads me to two questions: First, if 79% of our country are Christians, why do we have so many pews empty in our churches. We complain about it being so hard to find parking when we go to ball games, car shows, or the mall. Wouldn't it be wonderful to say "I have to leave early to go to church so I can find a parking place."

My second question is, if 79% of Americans are Christians and the first words of our Bill of Rights gives us the freedom to exercise that religion, why are we not allowed to pray in schools? Why is there such an uproar to remove In God We Trust from our government...the very government that gives us the right TO trust in God? Why can we not display our Ten Commandments in public, why must we be "politically correct" in everything we say and do?
If the majority of the United States of America are Christians, why are we made to feel like a minority with no rights?

I for one will continue to exercise my rights. I will pray when and where I want to pray. I will put my trust in God. I will attend the church of my choice and I WILL BE glad when they say unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.

1 comment:

Breathing In Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.