10/27/10

Karen




When I was in the 8th grade, I read a booked simply titled, Karen. It was written by Marie Killilea, Karen's mother. It was a true story about the first 10 years of Karen's life. It was written in the early 50's.

Karen Ann Killilea was born three months prematurely at a time when such babies rarely survived. As a result of her prematurity, she developed cerebral palsy. After she was diagnosed, Karen's parents decided to raise her at home, contrary to the advice of doctors to commit her to an asylum and forget her.

After visiting at least 23 doctors, they found one who taught them to use physical therapy with Karen (then a radical concept). They did so, spending six hours daily on her therapy for more than 10 years. Karen learned to walk with crutches, write, and use her arms and legs.

The book is simply the day to day struggles that they faced as a family. I laughed, I cried. It was the best book I ever read and I read it every summer for 6 years.

Back in 1992, I wanted to find a copy of it. None of the local libraries had it and that was before I was even aware of the internet and things like e-bay and Amazon. I scoured book sections in every antique store I could find. I was joking around that Christmas and told Allen I gave up. I was just going to ask Santa Claus to bring it to me. He was always telling me "If you believe, you will receive." So I tested his theory.

Well, my dear precious "Santa" set himself to work and found an original hardback copy of the second printing from 1952 with the original dust jacket still on it. He found it without the aid of the internet at Prentice Hall Publishers in New York City. We won't even discuss what he ended up paying for it.

But he was able to sneak it in and hide it from me. I was completely unaware that he even remembered me wanting it.

On Christmas morning, we were done opening presents and were cleaning up the wrapping debris from the floor. Allen calmly says, "What's that under the secretary? Did a present get shoved there by mistake?" I went over and looked and there was a package wrapped in plain brown paper and tied with a string. Since I handle all the kids gifts, I didn't know what was going on. I looked at him with a "what's this" look and he told me to open it. You guessed it...it was my book. I cried.

I still own the book and I still read it once a year. It is the ONLY book I own that I never loan out for others to share. It's too precious to me to take a chance. Karen and her families bravery to face everything that comes their way is such an inspiring story and touches my heart every time I read it. And every time I read it, I'm reminded of the love my husband shows me by going out of his way to make sure my wishes are granted.

If you want to read a funny, humorous, inspiring book, find a copy of Karen and read it. You will be very glad you did.





No comments: