11/29/10

2 x 4's

Thankful thought of the day - Today I am thankful for "2 x 4" moments.

The definition of a  2 x4: Lumber made from wood that is used as structural material for construction.


 We pray and pray and ask God for divine wisdom. We ask for His guidance and fall to our knees, begging Him to help us in whatever path we are to take. But how many times in your life has He given you an answer and you didn't realize He was talking to you? How many times has He provided you with a solution that was so simple that you didn't even see it? And how many of those times do you ignore the obvious and continue to beg and plead for His help?

If you are like me, the answer is TOO MANY times. In my lifetime, I have had so many instances where He tries over and over to give me an answer and I'm not even listening when He does. But some of those times, He will do something extreme to get my attention or speak to me in a commanding voice where I don't have a choice, except to listen. I call these my "2x4" moments. The moment when, with a jolt, the light bulb goes on and you realize He's been there all along, trying to get you to see His plan for you.

I was thinking about the 2 x 4 moments in my life yesterday. And it occurred to me, that it is a very appropriate analogy. A 2 x 4 is a means to an end. It is the structural part of the building process that carries the load. We are a continual work in progress. Those 2 x 4 moments from God are simply His way of taking on the responsibility for constructing our lives. He bears our heavy load. And sometimes, in my case, He has to use the 2 x 4 that shores up my life and whack me upside the head with it to get my attention. So I thank Him for caring enough to do that.

No comments: