1/8/11

An Aunt's Heart...One size fits all

There is an old Spanish proverb that says: “Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother, can keep secrets like a sister, and share love like a friend.”


This is so true. An aunt is the one person you can turn to when Mom is not available. An aunt will not judge you. She won't lecture or reprimand. An aunt has but one job and that is to love you, unconditionally.

I was blessed with two wonderful aunts on my mom's side - Aunt Dee Dee and Aunt Frances. I have so many wonderful memories from my childhood thanks to these two special women. They are a part of so many of my wonderful memories growing up. We were always visiting at one or the other's homes. I can remember many cook-outs and holiday gatherings with them in the kitchen helping Mom and Mamaw as a fabulous feast was prepared. I remember summer days of fried chicken and mashed potatoes with fresh sliced cucumber and always a pitcher of ice tea as we all gathered at our house. We didn't need an "occasion" to get together. We just did it because we loved being together.

I was a Mommy & Daddy's girl and didn't like to spend the night away from home. But every time The Aunt's would visit, I would get the urge to go home with one of them to stay all night. They never said no and I would pack my little bag of p.j's and spare clothes and off we'd go. But most of the time, around bedtime, homesickness would hit and I'd cry for Daddy. They would have to call him to come and get me and take me back home.

Even though my "overnight" visits just lasted to bedtime, I still have great memories. It is funny  the things that stick with us. For me, the things that bring back fond memories are usually a particular fragrance.

When I would stay with Aunt Dee Dee, I remember that I loved bath time. She always had the best smelling soap. It's was a soft floral scent that just made you feel all warm inside. It was Cashmere Bouquet. I remember watching her wash her face at night and I loved lingering in the bathroom because the smell was so good. It's funny, and I never really thought of it before, but my favorite fragrances over the years have been anything floral. I wonder if it is because it reminds me of that soap. I can close my eyes and still smell it. I know soap may be a funny thing to remember, but those were special times and that smell was very special to me.


Well, I guess if it is funny to have fond memories of soap, it will be even sillier that I have fond memories of Noxzemal. (What is it with me and smells?) I can't open a jar of Noxzema today without thinking of my Aunt Frances. I remember it like it was yesterday. Frances and my cousins had been visiting that day and I wanted to go home with her so bad. With 7 kids, her house was always full of fun and laughter. But this particular day, we had played outside in the yard all day long. I begged and begged and promised I wouldn't get homesick and that I would stay through the night. So Mommy gave in and let me go. After our baths, I was hurting from the sunburn I had gotten that day. I can close my eyes and see it as plain as day. I'm setting on the bed and Frances is rubbing Noxzema on my sunburn telling me it will stop the pain. My cousin Ruthie was just a little thing and sitting beside me watching. The Noxzema was making it feel a little better, but it still hurt. All of a sudden, I got homesick and before bedtime even got here, I was wanting my Daddy. So the call was made and he came to get me.



I've often wondered why Dee Dee and Frances let me go home with them so often, even though they knew I wouldn't stay. But once I became an aunt and felt that special bond with my nieces and nephews, I can understand why. It's very simple. They love me.

I'm blessed to still have both of them with me. I try to see them any time I go home to visit. Whenever I smell floral soap or see a jar of Noxzema, I will always smile and I will always remember.



5 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love your new blog look. Yes, you post some of the neatest stories.

nonie everythingsewing said...

I have began to look forward to these trips down memory lane. Love your blog.

nonie

Visits With Mary said...

Cahmere Bouquet and Noxema...my oh my, that brings back some memories...Where have the years gone? ))))smiles))))

Rachel said...

I sure do love those memories!! I still use Noxzema. Me and Amy both do. Amy cleans her makeup off with it every night. One more smell from mamaw's was Dove soap. She also used that. If only we go back for a little while.......!