2/19/11

When faith walks in, fear walks out.


Why do we subject ourselves to so much worry about things in our lives we cannot control? Why do we question God when He points us in the right direction. This week, I've been working on our Beth Moore Bible Study about King David. On the first day of the study, we learn about Jonathan. One thing that really stuck with me was when he said "Perhaps the Lord will work in our behalf."

Jonathan KNEW what God COULD do, but he didn't know what God WOULD do.

How many times in our lives do we hand God a problem and continue to struggle with it. We "worry" it to death like a dog with a bone. We can't let go and let God. What does that change on the outcome? Absolutely nothing. That is where our faith MUST come in. We know God can do anything. He works miracles big and small everyday. But do we wait for our miracle? No, we want to take control and make it work the way WE want it to work, not the way God has it planned. How many times does He answer only to find we are so busy worrying with it that we don't see that He is providing us the answer.

Many people call me impulsive and wonder how I can make decisions without thinking about them. I don't think I'm rash or impulsvie. It's faith. When God points me in a direction, I know He has a reason. I just don't know what it is. I sometimes feel like Jonathan. I know what God can do, I'm just not sure what He will do. But I'm willing to take that leap of faith. 

That is why it is so important not to go to extremes when He asks something of us. Many times we want to pray about it. Ask others advice. Weigh the pros and cons. We are so afraid to take that leap of faith and do His will. It is such a simple process and we make it more difficult. There is an old hymn that says "wherever He leads, I'll go." That is how we should be. We should say "Here I am Lord, choose me." Do I always do that? No, I'm ashamed to say I don't. There are times when I willingly do His will and there are times when He drags me kicking and screaming to get me to do what He wants. I have always found that the blessings are there if we just follow His will.

I sound like I'm on a soapbox and I don't mean to be. But we are all surrounded by good Christian people who love our God and want to do His will. Yet, we all fail Him, myself included because we want to do His will, but we just want HIS will to be OUR will. It just doesn't work that way. We are so afraid to take the step He asks us to take. We are so afraid of failing. When the answer is so simple. By faith, let God lead you and those fears will be gone. My prayer today is that each and everyone of us develop a closer walk with the Lord and learn to listen when He speaks. I pray that we will each learn that a deeper faith will wash away any fears we may have.

Have a blessed weekend!

2 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Thank you for this post. It holds great meaning for me too.