5/19/11

It's a good thing I can laugh at myself....

One thing I loved growing up and still do is Mommy's pancakes. She makes them from scratch and fixes them in an iron skillet and they are to die for. One morning, when I was about 7 or 8, we were having pancakes for breakfast. I was just a few bites into my last one and asked Mommy to fix me another one and she said that was all the batter. My brother had half of his last one left and said he was finished that I could have his. Instead of finishing mine first, I greedily grabbed his plate and raked his remaining pancakes onto mine. I took my fork and stabbed a piece of pancake to get back to my task. I put it in my mouth and began to chew....then it happened. It was horrible. I had forgotten that Jack liked to eat his pancakes with molasses instead of syrup. I despised molasses. Oh, the face I must have made as I dashed for the bathroom. My brother thought is was hilarious and I returned to the table with one of those "if looks could kill" faces. The bad part was, since I had mixed it all together, now all the pancakes would have the gag-nasty flavor of molasses. He cracked up; I got mad. I'm not sure if I stormed off mad or if I cried because of ruined pancakes. But I can assure you, I never made that mistake again. And I definitely have never tried molasses again.
A few months later, Mom was outside burning the trash in the big drum Daddy used for that purpose. Now, those of you who know me well, know I am not known for my patience. And my lack there of has had adverse effects from time to time. Well, this particular morning, I wanted my Cheerios and I wanted them right then. I hollered out the screen door "Mommy, can I fix my own Cheerios." Mommy hollered back that she would be there in a minute. But I wanted my Cheerios right then and begged her to let me fix them by myself. She relented and agreed. Then she yelled back down the hill, what to me sounded like "be sure and use the green carton of milk."  When actually, she was reminding me NOT to use the green carton. But little Miss Impatient was also known as little Miss Doesn't Pay Attention Well, so I poured a bowl of Cheerios, covered them with a scoop of sugar and proceeded to pour the milk from the green carton. I was so proud. My first time of fixing breakfast for myself. I could now tell everyone I had "cooked" my own breakfast. I carefully carried my prize to the table and sat down to eat. One bite into them and I knew I had not listened very well. Have you ever tried Cheerios in buttermilk? Well, don't. Oh how gross! Of course, I didn't like buttermilk any better than I did molasses so it was not a good morning. Mom came in around then and I got a lecture on being impatient and not paying attention.
Now, I guess everybody knows why I don't like to cook. I thank God daily for marrying a man who is not only a fabulous cook, but he can tell syrup from molasses and knows the difference between milk and buttermilk.

No comments: