7/23/11

Happy National Hot Dog Day

Now THIS is my kind of holiday. It's National Hot Dog Day. I have long been a connoisseur of the common hot dog. I have had them at ball parks, hot dog stands, restaurants and even local gas stations. From the very first time Mommy cut them up into little bites for me to dip into ketchup, I was hooked. They are by far my #1 favorite food. Did I mention I still have the food mentality of a 3 year old?
Anyway, I have had many hot dogs at many places in my 54 years. Today as we pay homage to the Great American Hot Dog, I would like to pay my respects to the people who make them the best in my book.
Counting Down Mamaw Bee's Top 10 Best Hot Dog places to eat out
(I'm not counting eating at home because hubby would win hands down. Nobody makes hot dog chili like my hubby)
10. Sonic Drive In, All over the South
9. A and W Restaurants in Sevierville, TN
8. Frank Allen's in Sevierville, TN
 Frank Allen's Market & Grill Sevierville TN
7. Little League Baseball Field in Barboursville, WV
 
6. Midway in West Huntington, WV
 
5. Hillybilly Hot Dogs in Lesage, WV
 
4. Frost Top in Huntington, WV
3. Cosmic Jacks in Mount Pleasant, SC 
 
2. Dairy Queen in Milton, WV - home of the English Dog
1. And the #1 Best Hot Dog in the world is from Stewart's Drive In from Huntington, WV. I have been known to make a trip home JUST to get this hot dog.


And you can't have a Stewart's hot dog with out an ice cold Stewart's root beer in an icy mug.


My favorite way to have a hot dog is with chili, mustard and onion. Second favorite is plain...just the hot dog on the bun.

Well, there's my take on hot dogs for the day. I'm heading out to the mall. In honor of today, I'm going to Petros for lunch and have a hot dog. They didn't make the top 10, but they are still a good hot dog.

What's YOUR favorite dog?

4 comments:

Beth said...

I love hot dogs but I rarely eat them. Favorite way, catsup and mustard on a really fresh bun.

Rachel said...

I love hotdogs too. My favorite was the Dairy Queen in Milton, but, they shut down this summer. Midway shut down also. So sad. One of my favorite hotdogs was a Nathan hotdog bought from a little sidewalk vendor in Charleston, South Carolina. Actually, I'm getting ready to go to my church picnic at Beach Fork State Park today and we are grilling hotdogs and hamburgers !! What's a summer cook out without the good old hotdog! I hope you enjoyed your's, I know I am going to enjoy mine!! Have a good day!!

Unknown said...

I am your newest GFC follower from the hop. I would love for you to come visit my blog and follow back. I have great giveaways going on all the time.
www.justthetwoofusanddeals.com

Thanks :)

Lucky Wife/Bookaholic said...

The hot Dog Shoppe in East Liverpool, OH, Across the river from Chester WV... Yummm...