9/3/11

Dear White Shoe I must bid you adieu.....

For a grandmother of 5, I like to think I can go with the flow. I can ride with the tide. I can accept change and keep up-to-date on today's do's and don'ts. The older I get, the more I find myself relaxing and not stressing about some of the little things that drove me crazy. If I decide to run to the store with no make-up....Big Deal. If I want to walk up the hill to the mail box in flannel pj's and a t-shirt....No Sweat. If I want to wait that one extra day before washing my hair....I'll survive. If company comes and the house is less than perfect....they are still welcome and I don't make excuses. I live in my home....it's not a showplace for a magazine.

HOWEVER....no matter how old or how relaxed I get in my thinking, I simply cannot and probably will never be able to wear white shoes after Labor Day. That was drilled into me for so many years that I just can't even fathom the idea of doing it. I actually picked out my shirt this morning with this thought going through my mind "I need to wear something that goes with my white flip flops because I can't wear them any more after Monday." How lame is that?
How naive am I? Is there fashion police lurking around every corner come Tuesday just waiting for a chance to write me a citation if I DARE to appear in public in white shoes? Would I be submitting such a faux pas by wearing white shoes that my friends would gasp in horror and whisper behind their hands?
But, alas, I can't help myself. It's phsycological. I cannot wear white shoes after labor day. Yet, I will wear summer sandals until October or November if the weather permits. Go figure. It's just one of those things that our Mom teaches us that stick with us. I guess I'm afraid if I wear them just one more time after that, Mom will call and ask "Did you put your white shoes away?"
Guess I'll just play it safe and put them back in the "summer shoe" storage until time to bring them back out next year .... AFTER EASTER OF COURSE!

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

Totally agree, no white shoes after Labor Day, as well as no white purses!

Tiffany said...

I do the same thing.... I have also found that I have a hard time wearing white tennis shoes... I wear them anyway because all I have are white but every year I think to myself that I need a tan color tennis shoe because my white ones look funny lol.

Jessica said...

I was raised the same way! I just can't do it! Flip Flops are one thing, white shoes are a completely different monster! :)

Leslie said...

I don't care one bit about seasonal colors! However, I don't own any white shoes... me and white, we don't get along at all! : )
Have a great weekend

Rachel said...

I wouldn't dream of wearing white shoes after labor day!! LOL!