1/18/12

Decorating a kitchen shelf...

Everywhere I have ever lived, we have had a cabinet over top of the refrigerator and had to use the actual top of the refrigerator to store something on that didn't have anywhere else to go. When we moved in our new place in October, I was beyond thrilled that everything fit in cabinets and my refigerator top would be clear and that I had an adorable shelf over top of the refrigerator that I could decorate. Here we are, three months later, and what have I done with it? I stuck a wooden rooster and a couple of harvest angels on it that are way to small for such a large area. I just haven't figured out what I want up there.


 
 But yesterday, inspiration hit. I am going to get a few antique cookbooks and put them on one side. I will need something to act as a bookend so I want an old vintage crock. I want to pick up some antique utensils like  beaters, mashers, an old spoon, to put in the crock.


On the other side of the shelf, I want an old vintage enamel pan. Well, actually I want this old vintage pan. I found it on Etsy for $12.00


On top of the refrigerator itself, I want to find an old printed dish towel.


And set another enamel pan on that. I'd really like it to be a vintage enamel colander. I love this one.


Those are my thoughts for now. First pretty day we get, I'm heading to the antique stores to see what I can find. 

4 comments:

Lucky Wife/Bookaholic said...

On the website uncommongoods I ordered my mom a WV vintage looking dish towel... they are super cute.

Mamaw's Place said...

Thanks for the idea. I'm heading there now.

Brenda said...

I wasn't able to find the comment section on Wed. Hodgepodge (maybe I'm blind?!) Anyhow, enjoyed your answers. I remember the very first time I ate at a Chinese food restaurant it was awful. I went, reluctantly, with a friend about 5 years later and I loved it. Must've been the restaurant.
I like your ideas for above your fridge. I bought some old red-handled utinsils on Ebay and hung them from an old rakehead for a neat wall display.

Rachel said...

I like the red utensil idea. I have an old crock. I may do that. I saw those utensils at the Miton flea market two weeks ago. I will have to make another trip up there. They a ton of them.