1/4/12

Getting Your Photos Organized


I am having a panic attack. This is the year I promised myself I would organized my printed photos. I have to say I am overwhelmed as to where I should start, how I should organize them, what I should do.
The three top containers and part of the fourth one is full of photos.

 

In addition to that, I have all these albums that have photos in them. Some are full and some have room to add more. I can't believe I'm showing this as it is a wreck inside this cabinet.


And then I have some Grandma's brag books.


And that doesn't include the stacks of pictures I have scanned for my blog or Facebook that are in a drawer that haven't been put back in a box or album yet.

Add to that the fact that I have this nice stack of CD's and DVD's that go all the way back to 2001, each one completely full.

 
Would anybody like to tell me where to get started on this daunting task? The CD/DVD's will be easy since I can look at them and label them a little more specific about time of year, occassions, etc. Then I'll get a nice notebook with those CD sleeve inserts to store them in for easy access. I like the look of this one, but not sure how many CD's it will hold. I'll have to check out Staples.
 
I had the great idea one time on how to sort the pictures. I was going to gather ones of my children, my grandchildren, my nieces and nephews, my siblings, etc. But the problem was overwhelming. Many of the pictures have a mixture of everybody in them as we are a huge family and very close. The cousins are in a lot of the pictures with my kids. So do those get grouped with shots of my children or shots of the cousins or a basic overall family pile. I just don't know. I spent about an hour just trying to figure out HOW to sort everything and never actually started sorting.
 
I feel like there needs to be some kind of method to this madness. A moment when a light bulb will go on and I'll just KNOW that's the best solution. But so far...nothing...nada...zilch. I'm still clueless. Any help and advice will be appreciated. I know it will be a time consuming process because just glancing in the containers reminded me I have so many memories in those boxes.
 
My twins and my first niece when they were little...
 

My siblings, myself and my parents...


Me and my precious grandchildren...



My Great Grandpa Mose McComas


My great-aunt Romaine at 98...


Do you see why it's going to take me so long to do this project?



 

6 comments:

Lucky Wife/Bookaholic said...

Sort by year, or even less daunting by decade, then they will become more manageable. Once you have a decade (the 80'S) use index cards to seperate, Christmas '81, trip to zoo '82, Family picnic... ect. Then as you find straglers, you can find the subject to file them.

At least that how I did it....

MissyMcM said...

Watch about putting in plastic totes...can draw moisture, then some of your pictures will be ruined. Aired out shoeboxes work the best
Love,
Mis

Mamaw's Place said...

Thanks to both of you for the input.

Kathryn said...

I like the sorting by year method idea. I need to do this myself but have felt a bit overwhelmed to dive in...

Thanks for the suggestion in turning my meal into soup! I think if I keep more of the broth base and not cook it as long it would make a tasty soup :)

Christy said...

I have so many photos that need cataloged. Your stack looks a little like mine.

Rachel said...

I have no idea how to do it. I am in the same boat as you! Too overwhelming! Love the pictures. Billy wants a picture of grandpa to put in her antique shop. Lol!