12/6/12

Peppermint Hot Chocolate


We slept with the temp down a little lower last night so I woke up to a little chill. I cranked the heat up, put on my warm house shoes and decided it would be a good day to have my first cup of peppermint hot chocolate of the season. Edgar (I finally gave him a name since he seems to keep hanging around) decided to help me out. He got the candy canes for us....


While I grabbed two packs of instant hot cocoa. I like a lot of chocolate flavor in it. Plus I have a big cup. 


I got out the container of miniature marshmallows. What is hot chocolate without marshmallow? 


Of course I had to get out my favorite cup. I find it ironic that I choose Nestle Hot Cocoa Mix to drink in a Hershey's mug. 


I get my trusty Pampered Chef microplane zester. You would be amazed at the uses I find for these thing. In this case we are going to make peppermint dust.


Once you add your chocolate and boiling water, stir until mixed well and cover the top with mini marshmallows. Then take the zester and grade the candy cane over the top of the cup and you have peppermint dust. 


Garnish with a candy cane and you have the best, easiest peppermint hot chocolate in the world. I am so addicted to this stuff. It goes great with a couple of chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven. But hey, it is 6:00 in the morning and I'm fresh out of chocolate chip cookies. 


 I do not like the way Edgar is eyeballing my chocolate. Back off buster. It's mine. Anybody with half a brain knows you never get between a woman and her chocolate!


Some other twists on hot chocolate are to take Hershey's kisses with caramel and add them to the hot chocolate mix when you are pouring the hot water in. Stir vigorously to melt the caramel and chocolate for a rich caramel treat. I like to top this one with whipped cream instead of marshmallows. 


I haven't tried this one yet, but I think my next cup will be with finely chopped or graded malted milk balls and top it with marshmallows. Sounds yummy to me. Who needs coffee when you can have so many flavors in your hot chocolate.  


Time to settle down with my treat and get a start on addressing the Christmas cards. 


Looks like Edgar is wanting me to share my chocolate with him. At least he brought his own cup. 



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph G! Edgar was getting some candy Canes for you out of the bowl, then he was sitting beside the cup you guys made, then it look alike he had a cup to because his cup was empty! How awesome!

ThrifterSisters said...

Such a cute post! Thanks for the yummy recipe idea. I will definitely be making this for my kids.

Happy Holidays!

Erica

Norma said...

You better watch your chocolate, Edgar may drink it all, at least he helped you get your canes out, but he did look like he couldn't wait to try it. And he brought his own size cup.

I drink chocolate a lot, but never have tried all the flavors in it.

Rachel said...

Edgar wanted your hot choc. He was holding the candy canes and he looks so sad with that empty cup.

nonie everythingsewing said...

I am sure Edgar dipped into your chocolate when you were not looking. I know he liked having his very own cup.
I just love hot chocolate it is the best thing about the winter months.

Nonie

Creations By Cindy said...

Love that little Edgar! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Rebecca said...

Edgar is so precious with that cup! :) Yum, peppermint hot chocolate, the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day.