12/24/13

Edgar's Last Day


It's Christmas Eve! Presents are wrapped and waiting for the family to come over tonight.


I have a few last minute cleaning chores for this morning (like running the sweeper) and then it is time to just relax and wait on the kids to get here. Edgar was up early this morning. He realizes it is his last day here. Santa will pick him up tonight and take him back to the North Pole to enjoy his retirement for another year. He tried to snoop in the presents but I caught him just in time before he started opening them. 


He read A Christmas Carol to Elaine. I thought that was sweet of him. 


They gathered around the song book and sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas. It was really sweet. 


I sat out some plastic tote bags I had purchased for the family to take gifts home tonight. He had to investigate...of course.


Then he jumped up in Papaw's chair to see which Christmas movie he wanted to watch this morning. 


I caught him checking over Santa's shoulder to see if his name is on the naughty or nice list this year. I don't know if he ever found out. 


He's been pretty nice to Ginger this year. She let him steal a kiss even though there wasn't any mistletoe. It sure made her smile. I think she is a little sweet on him. 


I guess it was too much to ask for him to remain on good behaviour today. I had to explain that a bowl of glass balls is NOT the same thing as those soft balls in a bouncy house. I very kindly told him to get out and stay out of my ornaments or I was going to drop kick him to the North Pole and he wouldn't have to wait on Santa to come get him. 


He settled down some and had a nice visit with Chilly and Rudy before he has to go home.


Then he spread out his favorite dishtowel with Clarisse on it. He's a good friend of hers. He likes this dishtowel because his "Aunt" Rachel made it for him. He decided to sample the candy I made yesterday. There is Old Fashioned Chocolate Candy, Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Candy, Paula Deen's 5 Minute Chocolate Fudge and my favorite, Reese's Peanut Butter Fudge. I had to get it away from him. The last thing I wanted was for him to be on a sugar high all day with company coming over. 


My victory was short lived when I turned back around and he had gotten into the orange cookies. I told him we can leave some of those out for Santa tonight. And if Edgar is good all day, I may give him a baggy full to eat on the way back to the North Pole.


He knows he gets to go back home today and I think he is getting a little homesick. I've caught him several times today just staring at the snow globe of Santa and the reindeer. I can tell he's getting ready to leave.


He finally settled back down with Elaine and Snoopy. Maybe they will keep him occupied while I finish my cleaning and he can see the kids one last time tonight before Santa comes. 


He's been a little calmer this visit. Maybe he is mellowing out in his old age. He has performed a few antics, but I'm gonna miss the little feller when he leaves. Merry Christmas, Edgar. 

1 comment:

Stephanie G. said...

Aww, Edgar I'm going to miss you! I always love finding out what you have done every morning, but I will find you next year :) have a nice retirement the rest of the year and a safe trip back home! Love ya little guy!