7/11/14

Half-way homemade Texas Sheet Cake


I love Texas sheet cake, but it can take awhile to make from scratch. And it fills a jelly roll pan which is way too much cake for just me and hubby. So I found a simple fix. 

First, I fix a box of Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix and make it by the recipe on the back for the chewy fudge brownies.


Make them by the box directions on add 1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon to the ingredients and bake in a 9 x 13 pan as directed.


As soon as you take them out of the oven, start on your icing. In a small saucepan, mix 4 tablespoons of Hershey cocoa, 6 tablespoons of milk. After you mix those two items together, cut up and add one stick of butter. Place pan on the stove and stir constantly until butter melts and bring to a boil. Be careful on this step. You just want it to start boiling. If you way till it gets to a rolling boil the butter will start to separate and it will not mix as well. Once it comes to a boil, remove from the heat.


Pour the heated mixture over 1 box 10x confectioners sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. (I forgot to say to put these ingredients in a mixing bowl BEFORE you start cooking the cocoa and milk). 


Mix until blended smoothly and then pour over the warm brownies. You will have a nice version of a Texas sheet cake that doesn't take nearly as long to make. 




2 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...

Yum, yum, yum. I could eat the entire pan!! Chocolate is my favorite food group! :)

Terri D said...

I think I could just make the icing and eat it with a spoon. You are wicked for posting something so luscious when I just started a no-carb diet!! That looks SO good.