7/2/14

Pizza Bread


Back where I used to live, a local pizza place served open pizza bread sandwiches. My family loved them. Many years ago, hubby and I experimented with our own version and it has become one of those comfort foods I love to have when I am tired and want something "special" for supper. We use Cobblestone Mill Sub Rolls, Ragu Traditional Pizza Quik, Colby/Monterey Jack cheese and I make mine with sausage. Hubby likes his with pepperoni, ham and bacon. You can pick your own topping and fix them anyway you want. 


Just slice open your sub roll (unless you buy ones that come already sliced).


Lay them with the inside facing up on a cookie sheet. On a side note, cover the cookie sheet with aluminum foil. This will keep any spilled cheese or overflow from burning on the cookie sheet and you just throw the foil away when you are done for easy clean up. 


Spread your pizza sauce on the inside of each piece of the bread.


I failed to get a picture of the next step, but you place your toppings on each side. I made mine with sausage and cheese, but you can do whatever you like for toppings (ham & pineapple, pepperoni, etc.)


Then I cover them with my favorite cheese, which is Colby/Jack but here again use what you like the best. 


Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted like you like it. I make mine for 12 minutes. 


Cut up and serve. I love these with a side order of Ruffles. 


Hope you try them someday. Come back and let me know if you do and how they turn out. 

1 comment:

Terri D said...

So easy, and it looks so good! Thanks for the recipe!