8/11/15

The Perfect Size Cake


Duncan Hines has introduced the PERFECT SIZE cake. It comes in a variety of flavors with a variety of frosting. For my first test, I selected the Lemon Bliss.


It comes with a packet of cake mix, a packet of frosting mix and a pan to bake it in.


For the cake, I added the required butter and egg.


I mixed it up until it was nice and creamy.


Then you simply pour it in the bowl. No need to grease the bowl or spray it with any coating. It is apparently pre-coated. 


I used a spatula to smooth it out. 


I baked it at the suggest temp for the suggested time. I think it was 300 degrees for 31-34 minutes or somewhere in there. I took it out and placed it on a rack and let it cool for 15 minutes as per the directions.


While it was cooling, I gathered my 4 tbsps. of butter and my 1 tsp of water and the frosting mix.


I put the ingredients together so I could mix it up when the cake was ready.


When the 15 minute cooling time was completed, I turned the pan upside down and pushed on the middle with three of my fingers. The cake popped out and the outer ring of the cake pan came off, leaving this piece of cardboard which you gently remove.


Then I turned the finished cake over and grabbed the bowl of frosting.


I started spreading the frosting on the cake. Disaster struck. It was not a pretty sight. In my effort to make the perfect Perfect Size cake. I completely forgot the final step....to let the cake finish cooling after I popped it out of the pan. It was horrible. The butter in the frosting started melting and separating from the mixture, the sugar became running and I ended up with a beautiful cake in the middle of a lemony pool of buttery slop.


I was so disappointed. I really wanted to show you the beautiful cake this would make. Lo and behold, my sister, who did not have a clue I was making this cake and going through this, sends me a picture that night of a cake she made that day. How hilarious is it that she had made the exact same cake I did. So I simply thanked her for her pic, told her it looked good and asked if I could "steal" her picture for my blog since mine was a flop. Here is her finished product which turned out way better than mine. I am going to try again.


Last night I was at Kroger and found that they had finally, after several years of it being gone, brought back the Caramel icing. Though now it is called Salted Caramel, it tastes just the same as before. I was so excited. I had a spice cake mix at home so I grabbed a can of the icing.


I think I will stick with the regular size cakes. I had much better luck with my spice cake with caramel icing.


And it felt so good to sit down and have a piece for my snack last night. 


What is going on in your kitchen?


1 comment:

Terri D said...

My kitchen is sorely neglected. I get home from work and the last thing I want to do is cook and then clean up. We go out to eat much too often. This cake size would be perfect for us, though, because we are both trying to lose weight (again) and having a whole cake sitting there is not a good thing. We could cheat a little with the perfect sized cake and then it would be gone! Thanks for sharing!