5/9/17

The heart.....

A heart is an intricate item. Medically it consists of chambers, valves, arteries and an intricate system of veins that keeps the body alive. Hearts can contain genetic problems that can cause congenital heart defects. But emotionally, a heart can hold our memories. Our feelings. Our love. And our pain. 

A heart can melt. It can give you that warm fuzzy feeling that just makes you speechless beyond words and fills you with immense joy and brings happy tears to your eyes. That is what happened when I held my first grandchild, Garret. I will never forget that feeling as long as I live. My heart just melted away when I got him in my arms. I didn't want to put him down.


But a heart can crack a little and cause you a bittersweet joy. I got home around 11:00 last night and stopped and got my mail. And there, in that simple white envelope with a gold seal was something I had been waiting for but dreading at the same time. Because I knew when I opened that envelope and read of the upcoming graduation of my precious grandbaby that a little piece of heart was going to break.  And sure enough, as soon as I opened it and saw this, the tears started flowing.


Oh how proud I am of him. Words just can't express what a fine young man he has turned into. If I am feeling like this, I can't imagine what his Mom and Dad must be feeling. Even though I don't get to see him much since he got older, he will always be that little guy that loved to come to Mamaw's house and that loved to go places and do things with me. He's only going about 3 or 4 hours away, but the fact that he is going away remains the same. I wish him well and know that he will be successful in the journey he has planned.

Congratulations, Garret. We are all so proud of you and love you with all our heart.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, your writing touched my heart.
Mpg

Anonymous said...

Brenda, your writing touched my heart.
Mpg

Terri D said...

Such a sweet post! They do grow up much too fast. Hugs!!