10/19/17

A favorite recipe

I love peanut butter candy. It's not to be confused with fudge. Peanut butter fudge is soft and needs refrigerated. Peanut butter candy sets up into a form that is a little crunchy to break apart, yet it melts in your mouth. I love both but my fave is the candy. One of the oldest recipes I have is one Mom wrote out for me for her recipe of peanut butter candy. I have had it since my early 20's when I started making it myself. So this little card is 40 years old. I guess you can tell it has had a lot of years of use. Even though most of the time I make it without even looking at the recipe.


You only need sugar, milk, peanut butter and vanilla. Even though it says 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, I use a tablespoon from my silverware and just scoop out a good full tablespoon of peanut butter. I don't use an actual measuring spoon. It's not enough peanut butter if you do.


I whipped up a batch late last night because I have been craving it. Before starting,  grease an oval plate or platter by rubbing butter a light coat of butter all over it. I use a Corningware platter.


You mix the milk and sugar in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it comes to the soft ball stage. (or 234° - 240° for those of you who like the exact science of cooking). Stir occasionally so it doesn't scorch. Remove from heat and add the peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until it starts to set up a little. Pour on the platter and let it cool. Do not refrigerate. An wah-lah! You have simple, easy, fast peanut butter candy.


A word of warning! It is very addictive. I just sat here and ate 3 small pieces while I was writing this blog. Have a great day.



1 comment:

Terri D said...

Sugar rush indeed!! That sounds SO good. My Joe loves peanut butter and would eat the entire plateful by himself. Not good since he is diabetic. I'll save this one for when the kids are here!! :)