11/12/17

Memories...

As Thanksgiving approaches, I remember with fondness Thanksgiving from my childhood. There was always a turkey and a ham. Baked beans and mashed potatoes were a must. Pumpkin pie and graham cracker pie along with an assortment of cakes or cookies. Mom got up early and put the turkey on. We played around the house, but 10:00 found us glued to the TV to watch the Macy's parade. We didn't budge until Santa was done.


There were no newspaper ads to pour over for Black Friday sales. There were no cell phones or tablets. People didn't work on the holidays and nothing was open anyway. There was football. Then more football and then even MORE football. Daddy loved his sports. I am not into TV sports, but back then I would watch if my beloved Steelers played my brother Andy's beloved Cowboys. Thanksgiving dinner was around 12 or 1:00. Sweet tea and Kool-Aid were the choices to drink.


Later at night when you got hungry again, you helped yourself. Nothing like a ham and mayo sandwich with potato chips and graham cracker pie for dessert. Or maybe some no bake oatmeal cookies before bed.


As I became a Mom, some traditions remained the same, some changed. As I have gotten older and have a job that requires I work on Thanksgiving, traditions are changing again. I miss the old traditions and the ones I've had with my children and grandchildren. But you know what? It's not about where you eat, what you eat or when you eat. No, it's not the where, when and what....it's the WHO. As long as I am blessed to spend time with my family and celebrate another year of thankfulness for God's blessings, I will be happy for what time I can spend with them and not worry about what food is new and what is traditional. As long as we have family and no bake oatmeal cookies, it will always be Thanksgiving. I love my family and am so thankful and blessed to have them in the same county so we can manage to get together for the holiday.

My son and his wife.


My daughter and her husband.


My grandson, Garret,  and his girlfriend Hannah. I probably won't get to see them this Thanksgiving because she will be graduating basic training and Garret won't be home when we get together for Thanksgiving. I am going to miss them. But I will get to see Garret when he is home from college over Christmas and hope to see Hannah at some point while she is home.


My grandson, Caleb. 


And the three youngest Grands. (l-r) Shelby, Alexis, and Colby.


Can't wait to see what memories we make this holiday season.



1 comment:

Terri D said...

Family is always first. You got that right. It's really not the what, where, or when...it's all about the WHO!! Great photos!