11/7/17

Not rushing it, but.....

I see people on my Facebook already putting trees up and that is their prerogative. But I for one cannot ever put my tree up before Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving. The family gathering together. Good food and amazing desserts. No matter what we end up eating, we have so much fun when we all get together. And I look forward to the parade every year. It's not Thanksgiving if I can't see the parade and if I can't look at Black Friday Ads. 


I didn't make the traditional graham cracker pie last year that we always have at Thanksgiving. But I am definitely making one this year.


But I am also smart enough to know that I need to budget some Christmas into the November planning so I have what I need to get the Christmas decorating started. Last year, you may recall I went cheap on a new smaller Christmas tree. I was left in SHOCK when I got it out of the box and put it together. This was how it looked which was not at all how it looked in the store.


It took most of the day to get it fluffed and because I was trying to be frugal, I bought an unlit tree so I had to add my own lights and that was so aggravating. But the end result looked good to me. Yes, I am an old-fashioned tree decorator and love my assorted balls, tinsel garland and dangling icicles.


But I am not going to go through so much struggle to put a tree together this year. I sold that one earlier this year for exactly what I paid for it. This year, I want to find a fluffier fuller Douglas Fir Christmas tree. Hopefully, I can find what I want in one of those that you just stick three pieces together and not one you have to insert every single branch.


I also want to find one that is pre-lit. No way am I struggling with wrapping lights around the tree again this year.


I need a new tree topper. I would love to have a red and green Christmas angel. I love this one from Walmart. I may get it.


I am also old-fashioned and still wrap my Christmas gifts. I'm just not a gift bag person for what goes under my tree. I think it is because of all my memories of wrapping for my kids when they were little. 


I created me an Excel form for my Christmas list. So I have that started and I actually bought two Christmas presents already. So I'm off to a good start.









4 comments:

Lady Jane said...

You are way ahead of me... I did start some knitted dish cloths to make flower like additions to the outside of my packages, that's about it. Loved the funnies from the last post. hugs, lj

Jan said...

My kids used to point out all of our neighbors that spent Thanksgiving afternoon putting up trees and lights. I always made them wait until December 1st! I love our tree-three pieces and the branches all attached a hinged to fall in place. Still have to fluff it and string lights, though.

Rachel said...

I agree with you, Sis! Enjoy Thanksgiving and after that is over bring on Christmas! Can't wait for both holidays! Mom wants her little tree put up this Friday so I guess I'll go ahead and do it. I'm going to take her vase of poinsettias up. You know how she loves those. Have a good day!

Terri D said...

I've got my shopping started, but my decorations won't go up until after Thanksgiving. I'm with you 100% there! We got a 'pencil' tree a few years ago and still like it. We don't have to move too many furniture pieces and it goes up pretty fast. The holidays are coming fast!