1/31/18

I gotta be me....

I have struggled with how I want my bedroom ever since Hubby passed away and I decided to re-do it. I have had several ideas and even made a couple of attempts to get it how I want it. But the thing is, I was trying to do it based on what I had seen others do or online. But I can't find anything that makes me happy. My daughter pointed out it is because the type of decor I am attempting is not me. Well, you know what, she was right. I can be down to earth and I can be the girl next door or the tomboy that will play in the dirt. But deep down inside, I am nothing but an old fashioned girly girl. I love my floral patterns, I love my baby dolls, my lace, my doilies and my tea pots and tea sets. And I love a variety of colors and patchwork quilts. So when I stumbled on a bedding set yesterday that was under $30 for the entire set, I snatched it up and came home and started working on my bedroom.

Once I got the bed made, I gathered up a couple of my dolls that matched and put them on the bed with my Sunbonnet Sue pillow Mom embroidered for me over 10 years ago. 


At the bottom of the bed, I put the blanket she did with primitive stitchery to match the pillow.


Then on one of the benches, I wanted to set something that had meaning to me as well. So I took the pillow cases my granddaughter,
Alexis, embroidered for me for Christmas and put them on smaller throw pillows instead of bed pillows. I need to do them tighter and iron the wrinkles out but I did this as a test and fell in love with it. I have my Ashton Drake Beth Little Women doll on the bench as well. My daddy made the bench and Mom used to have it at the foot of her bed with a doll and throw pillows until she gave it to me.


And I love when I see books stacked with a teacup on top of a doilie. I did that on the little box that belonged to my hubby.


0n my wall is a picture of me and my sister when we were 2 and 3. I am the two year old on the right of the pic. This has always been my favorite picture. Mom said I was mad because I didn't want shoes and socks on in the picture. So about 20 years ago, I found this doll that has the same curly hair and the same pouty face and had to have it. Now you know why I bought this doll.


I am so happy with my bed. I do need a new lamp and to incorporate a tea set and a few other things, but I am finally felling like I am on the right track for my bedroom. 




3 comments:

Terri D said...

Wow!! I think you nailed it this time! It looks great!

Amy said...

Love the new quilt and the stack of books with the tea cup. It all looks so good!

MeriwetherGirl said...

I love the way your bedroom turned out! Judy