2/8/18

A step back in time.....

One of my favorite things to do is to visit antique stores and look at all the treasures they behold. Sometimes it can be depressing because she see something and think "Oh, we had one of these when I was growing up." Then you look at the tag and it says "Very old". Not always a happy moment. Then you see they are asking like $300 for something you just took for granted when you were younger.


One of my favorite things to look at that I don't collect is Depression Glass. The blues, the pinks, the greens, the yellows, even the clears are all so beautiful. My friend collects it and we always look at it on our antique trips. Since I have changed the decor in my room, I am looking for a few pieces of the Depression glass for the bedroom. I especially love the pinks, but am going to look next week to see what I can find whether it is pink, blue, green or yellow. They all go with my new quilt and pillow shams. I know one thing I want is a candy dish. I really love the daintiness of this one.


I have never seen a tray like this but oh how I would love to find this for my dresser.


This vase is absolutely beautiful.


I always have a watch and my favorite earrings and rings that I like to just drop in a tray on my dresser. This would be really cute for that.


And I never knew that depression glass came in perfume bottles. Check these out. 






Yesterday I was at my friends house and told her I wanted to look at some of this when we go next week because I want a few pieces. She reached in her china cabinet and got a little saucer out and handed to me and said "Well, here is something to start your collection. You can put it on your dress for jewelry." I was so excited. It is the Cherry Blossom pattern. She said there is a tea cup to match it but she's not been able to find that.


When I got home, it reminded me I had bought a little saucer sometimes last year for just $2. I just thought it was cute. I got it out to look at it and decided to research it. Turns out it is original depression glass made somewhere from 1932-1939. I found a sight with the old and the reproductions on it and was able to confirm it's old. I am so thrilled. 


I also have this sherbet cup that I researched and it is depression glass. Now, whether it is the original old stuff or a 1970's Federal Glass reproduction is not known. I can't find anything to separate the two. But even if it is from the 1970's that is close to 50 years old so I am happy with that.


Well what do you know. I have three pieces of depression glass and wasn't even planning on collecting it. 




1 comment:

Terri D said...

I have a lot of depression glass. I don't really "collect" it but have inherited the pieces I own. I should probably do a little research! You always inspire me!