9/14/11

Wednesday Hodge Podge


I'm linking up with From This Side of the Pond

1. What do you do at the first sign of a cold? Will you get a flu shot this year?
The minute I feel a cold coming on I start guzzling fresh squeezed orange juice and eating oranges. I also start taking just the standard Sudefed little red cold tablets. They are non-drowsy and seem to do the trick for me when I keep the orange juice flowing. No, I have never gotten a flu shot because it always made both of my parents sick from getting the shot and I don't want to take the chance.

2. What advice can you give about how to conquer fear?
Fear is something that is hard to conquer. You can't just turn it off. One of the best ways I think you can conquer fear is to do lots of research on whatever you are afraid of. Sometimes, fear is simply being afraid of the unknown. The very thing you fear may not be nearly as bad as you think. What is that old saying? Forewarned is forearmed or something like that. Just be prepared and step up and tackle the fear and you will more than likely find it wasn't something to be afraid of to begin with.

3. Share two good things about your life right now.
My church and my family are always upfront and foremost the most important things in my life at all times. But as for something that is important to me right now I would have to say two upcoming trips. One to Jonesborough, TN to go antique shopping with my sister and the other one is also with my sister and that is going to Parris Island to watch my nephew graduate from the United States Marine Corp. So very proud of him and looking forward to see him graduate.


4. A hot fall fashion trend in 2011 is a return to sixties style...tunics with pants, shift dresses, pencil skirts, cinched waists, bold prints, high necklines and short lengths to name a few. How does this fashion trend fit with your wardrobe and personal sense of style?
I loved the 60's clothes to an extend. The tunics and pants are something I am very pleased to see coming back in style. Shift dresses and pencil skirts....not so much. Those styles will just accentuate the fact that my belly and bottom are not quiet as in proportion as I would like.


5. Were you involved in scouting as a kid? How about as an adult?
I wasn't in scouts of any kind, though I did attend a Brownie meeting with a friend one time. However, my husband was a Boy Scout and achieved Eagle Scout status and I'm very proud of him for that, even though I didn't know him them. He also worked with the scout troop as he got older and hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail with them.


6. Apple, pear, plum, pumpkin...your favorite fall flavor?
Apples. Apples. And more Apples. I love Gala apples the best, but I like the Romes for applebutter making. There is nothing like going to the apple orchard in September, or having apples with caramel over them at Dollywood in October. I love apples.


7. What characteristics do you think are essential in a good teacher?

I think a good teacher needs to be caring and compassionate about her students. She needs to love what she does. I do not like to see teachers who act like they couldn't care less about their students. They spend many hours formulating the future of these young people placed in their care daily and I think you have got to have compassion and understanding to be successful as a teacher.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Worry is like a rocking chair.....it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

What a fun blog post! enjoyed all the pictures! I am now following you as well. Blessings!

Joyce said...

Jonesborough-I love that little town. Years and years (and years) ago I worked in two restaurants there-The Parsons Table and The Widow Browns. I think they are both long gone and the town has changed a bit thanks mostly to the storytelling festival. I wish I were going antiquing there this weekend! Where in TN do you live?

Rachel said...

This is a neat little blog! I enjoyed it! Can't wait for our trips!

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

Random thought is so true. However, I am a worry wart!!! Enjoyed answers and pic. Have a great rest of the week. Am following you now.

Amiee said...

I agree with you about pencil skirts and shift dresses accentuating certain...areas...that I do NOT want to accentuate! Ha!

Lucky Wife/Bookaholic said...

Love the rocking chair quote... I am gonna file that away to use later