10/23/11

It started with a sock....


It all started with a sock. It was unexpected. We were moving the last piece of furniture into place. When my husband pulled the bottom drawer out to make it easier to move, I noticed this little blue sock on the floor. I bent down and picked it up and the memories washed over me like water running down a mountain stream.

As I held that little sock in my hand, I could see his little smile as I bent down to get him out of his crib. I could smell the baby lotion I used every time I gave him a bath. I could feel the warmth as we cuddled in the rocking chair when he took his bottle.  I could picture the little curls in his hair that would get even curlier in the humidity of summer.

I remember the little giggles as he learned to walk and talk. And I remember the special language he shared with his twin sister as they would crawl around the house playing hide and seek behind the end tables.

I remember how proud he was when Papaw would let him go up to the building with him and would give him pieces of wood to nail and paint. I remember him coming down from the building and presenting me with a special little project he had painted and nailed for us. I still have it.


I rembered all the years, all the love, all the hugs and all the kisses of that dear precious little boy that God gave me to love. I remember his little hand holding mine and I remember when he replaced my hand with the sweet girl that was destined to become his wife.

The memories made me search further in the drawer and I found his first pair of shoes and one of my favorite outfits I put on him when he was just a couple of weeks old.


And I remember him bringing his first son, my first grandchild, for the first visit to Mamaw & Papaw's house. And I remember dressing his son in that same outfit and taking tons of pictures.

The years have gone by so fast. He is grown now with two sons and a daughter of his own. He has grown in to a wonderful father and a loving husband. It has been over 30 years since he wore that little sock. But as I sat in the floor and held that sock and thought of my beautiful little baby boy that wore it, I couldn't keep the tears from falling. 

For though I love the man he has become and am so proud of him, my heart wants to keep him as my little precioius baby boy. He stole my heart the moment I first held him and he still holds it today.

My dear son, I hope you know how much I love you.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

How neat! Didn't I buy him those shoes?

Mamaw's Place said...

Yes, you did. Right after he was born. You bought them and that little denim bibs with the red bandana designed shirt.

 

Mamaw's Place Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design