1/3/13

A chocolate lovers paradise


I love chocolate. In any form and in any fashion. But when it comes to baking chocolate, nothing can beat good old chocolate fudge. I have two recipes that I love to make for fudge. One is a creamy smooth fudge that you refrigerate and one is an old-fashioned fudge that "hardens" as it sets up and has more of a crunch when you bite into it and is more granulated but just melts in your mouth. It is by far my favorite. With Valentine's Day our next holiday to focus on, I thought I would share my two favorite recipes so you can make some sweets for your sweetie this year. 

Carnation's Famous Chocolate Fudge


2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (4 ounces) marshmallow cream (Fluff)
1-1/2 cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (we like milk chocolate so I use that instead)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional

Combine butter or margarine, evaporated milk, sugar, and salt in a medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips, nuts, and vanilla. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallow cream is well blended. Pour into a foiled-lined or buttered 8-inch square baking pan. Chill until firm. We like our fudge night quite that thick so I pour mine in a 9 x 13 cake pan.

You can use this same recipe and replace the chocolate chips with Reese peanut butter chips for a delicious peanut butter fudge. You can also add Heath chips with the chocolate chips for a delicious Heath bar flavor. There are many brands of chocolate chips, but we prefer Nestle when making fudge. 

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge (This is the one my Mom always made and still does)


3 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1 and 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp salt

4 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Grease an 8x8 inch square baking pan. Set aside. ( I like to make mine on a large oval platter and grease that. It isn’t as thick).

Combine sugar, cocoa and milk and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Cook to the soft ball stage. If you have a candy thermometer, cook until temperature reaches 238 degrees F. If you are not using a thermometer, then cook until a drop of this mixture in a cup of cold water forms a soft ball. Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency.

Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine and vanilla extract. Beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge loses its sheen. Do not under beat.

Pour into prepared pan and let cool. Cut into squares.

ENJOY! Let me know if you try either recipe. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

2 comments:

Beth said...

The second recipe is the way my mom always made fudge. Delicious!

Rachel said...

Email me at work the first fudge recipe on your blog. The one with the marshmallow creame. Thanks! Did I send you a pic of the fudge and no bake cookies I made last week? I finally got it to turn out. I have no bake cookies down pat. Finally!