10/14/14

Craft Time....


I don't know what it is about this time of year that makes people want to start crafting, but the bug has hit. My friend, Theresa, decided to try her hand at the mesh wreaths that are all the rage. She had never made one before. 


She enjoyed making her fall one so much that she went and bought stuff to make a Christmas one. She has around $12 in each one. 


Another friend of mine, Tammy, bought some of those unfinished wooden frames from AC Moore. She covered them using modge podge, tissue paper and pigeon glue. They turned out beautiful. I would never in a million years think to use tissue paper. I am going to have to try this. 


So that got me in the mood to try my hand at a little crafting. I am going to get a small tree to put in my craft room at Christmas and put nothing but handmade crafts on it. Since I do so much with yarn, I decided to try the little mini yarn balls. I rolled the ball of yarn and inserted a ornament hanger in the top. I put a touch of hot glue to hold it in. Then I glued little beads on the end of toothpicks, making them look like knitting needles. I simply inserted them tightly in the yarn. I already had everything in my craft stash so I didn't have to spend anything to make these. I am loving them. I also have solid green sparkly yarn and red sparkly yarn to make more. These were so fun and so fast. Took about 5 minutes to make.


I had some brown and some red burlap in my surplus of items. I also had a ball of Jute string. I cut out this little birdie. I cut two pieces exactly alike to give it thickness. I laid down the back piece first and then looped my jute and laid the string on top of the back piece and let it hang down. I took a black scrapbook tack and put through the top piece for the eye and hot glued the red wing on. Then I ran a bead of glue around the edges of the bottom piece and laid the top piece on it. I knotted the Jute and cut the excess off to create legs. Easy as pie.


The only thing I noticed after the fact was the wing is backwards. It is supposed to have the big side on the left side, not the right. I will change that when I make some more of them. What have you been crafting?




4 comments:

ThrifterSisters said...

That bird is just about the sweetest thing ever! I haven't been crafting anything but have been pinning things to do on Pinterest like a madwoman!

~Erica

Terri D said...

I just look longingly at your wonderful creations and think about getting started (but I never do). Love these great ideas!!

Leslie said...

They are soooo cute!! i haven't been crafting at all recently. Now, however, I am inspired!

Rachel said...

Love your little crafts! Mom is doing little decorations for her tree to. I do like the pyrex on the kitchen table. Keep on crafting!