1/11/22

Let's take a trip to the 1960's

The Sixties. Hippies. Peace. Love. Bubble Gum pop music. Woodstock. But there were some other great things from the 60's. Some I wish I still had. Some I see in antique stores. One of the things I remember are the way products had freebies in them. Like the Quick Mother Oats that had the Bonnie Blue cup and saucer. Daddy drank his coffee out of one just like this. I still see them in antique stores around here. 


And who remembers when Breeze Detergent came with dishtowels? These were some great towels. 


And then they had some that had face cloths or as we called them in the country, wash rags only we pronounced it "warsh" (and yes I still say warsh).


And one of my favorites. The Campbell Kids. We had to save labels to get them. And I am not sure why I got one. My sister didn't that I can remember. But I love my Campbell soup girl. I think I named her Susie. I loved her played with her all the time. At one point she lost her clothes. I still played with her. Then she lost a hand. I think my brother Jack or the dog bit it off. It was always a little murky as to what happened to her hand. 


And oh my goodness how I loved my record player. We listed to everything on that old record player. We bought the records at either McCroy's or H & L Greens. We had everything from Blue Suede Shoes by Carl Perkins to Bo Weevil by Teresa. Then we graduated to Diana Ross and The Surpremes, Donnie and the Osmonds. We got a lot of miles out of that old player.


And I can't talk about my growing up in the 60's without posting a pic of the Barbie I had. This isn't mine, but it is the type of Barbie I had. 
And did anybody else watch for the mailman to come and bring the Christmas catalog every year when the season rolled around. We used to argue over who got to look at it first. Of course, we went straight to the toys.


And don't get me started on Barbie shoes. There wasn't nothing fancy about them. But they were so little, it was hard to keep track of them. I used to love getting a new Barbie outfit just to see what color of shoes she came with.


And how exciting was it when Jacks started coming in COLORS not just the silver. I loved playing jacks. Oh, and FYI, I have jacks still today. And I can still get in the floor in the kitchen an playing them. Sometimes I get all through my tensies without dropping any.....and I am 65 years old. My philosopy is "If you can still get yourself out of the floor, you are not to old for jacks."


And who remember these vintage enamel pots and pans? The 60's home decor sure did love avocado green, harvest gold and orange. 


Thanks for joining me on my trip to the 60's. What a blast!



No comments: